Many companies set aside special funds each year to match contributions their employees make to qualified non-profit organizations. Most often, the companies match contributions dollar for dollar, but matches can vary. Check to see if your contribution to Public Radio WBHM 90.3 is eligible for a Matching Gift.
If your company does have a matching program, complete the forms provided by your employer and send them with your donation. With a few minutes of your time, the impact of your gift to WBHM may be doubled or possibly tripled! Some companies even match gifts made by retirees and/or spouses.
If you know that your company matches gifts, but its name does not appear, please e-mail WBHM’s membership manager, William Dahlberg and he will contact your employer.
Frequently Asked Questions about Matching Gifts
- Why is matching important?
- Employer matching gifts increase the impact of your personal support two, maybe even three, times and mean more resources for WBHM to utilize as we continue to provide the award-winning news and programming you enjoy.
- What do I need to do to get my gift matched?
- The employee must initiate the matching gift process. This usually means contacting your employer or former employer to obtain the proper form, completing the form, and mailing it to WBHM as soon as possible. WBHM verifies that the contribution was received and that it qualifies for a match. WBHM then sends the form to your employer for verification. If all of your company’s matching gift guidelines are met, they will issue the matching funds to WBHM.
- After I submit the matching gift form, will all my future contributions be matched too?
- No. Unfortunately this is a common misconception. You must submit a matching gift form with EACH contribution that you make to WBHM. Some listeners request several forms at once and then just send one with each donation they make.
- Must I be a full time active employee to have my contributions matched?
- Most companies match gifts from part time employees and retirees too. Some companies also match gifts from spouses, annuitants, and directors.
- Is there a time limit on eligibility to get my contribution to WBHM matched?
- Companies do usually require you complete and return the form within a set time period, usually 90 days. We recommend that you submit your form at the same time you make your contribution or shortly after.
- I am a UAB employee. Will UAB match my gift?
- Currently, UAB does not match employee contributions of any kind. However, as a listener-supported service of UAB, WBHM does receive funding from the University. UAB employees are eligible to contribute to WBHM through payroll deduction, which helps save the station on the cost of paper, postage and credit card processing.
- If I am a sustaining member, when should I submit my matching form?
- Although it can depend on the company, we have found that sustainers can typically use their tax receipt from WBHM—sent via the Gift Records office of UAB—to show the entirety of their sustaining gift from the previous year. The company will use that total yearly amount when determining the matching amount. Tax receipts are usually sent every year in January.
If you have any further questions or comments concerning the matching gifts program, please call us at (205) 934-2264 Monday-Friday between 8 a.m and 5 p.m. or e-mail William Dahlberg. Thank You!