WBHM Wins Seven AP Awards
WBHM 90.3 FM/WSGN 91.5 FM has won a total of seven 2013 Alabama Associated Press awards. The awards were given for work broadcast between Jan. 1 and Dec. 31, 2012 and were presented at a luncheon July 20 in Birmingham.
WBHM won the award for Best Web Journalism for its website www.wbhm.org. Contributors included former WBHM News Director Tanya Ott and team members Andrew Yeager, Michael Krall, Larry Owen and Dan Carsen, who reports as part of the Southern Education Desk.
WBHM also won awards for:
- Best Reporter: Tanya Ott
- Best Newscast: Andrew Yeager
- Best Specialized Reporter: Dan Carsen, (Education)
- Best Hard-News Feature Story: Tanya Ott, “Alabama Legislature Considers Immigration Law Tweaks“
- Best General Sports: Will Dahberg, “Lacrosse in a Football State“
- Best Coverage of a Spot News Story: Andrew Yeager, “The January 2012 Tornado“
Earlier this year, Dan Carsen won The Council on Contemporary Families award for Broadcast Coverage of Family Issues for “Holiday Hunger,” “New Wave of School Integration in Birmingham, Ala.” and the two-part series “From Failure to National Model: The George Hall Elementary Turnaround.” He also received The Education Writers Association’s First Place Prize for Beat Reporting and The Medical Association of the State of Alabama Douglas L. Cannon Broadcast Journalism Award for “Holiday Hunger.”