We’re Hiring a Membership Director
We’re looking for an energetic and creative individual to lead and grow WBHM’s fundraising efforts by cultivating relationships with our current and prospective members.
The ideal candidate has previous membership or development experience at a public radio or public TV station or previous experience in membership at a nonprofit organization. The candidate must be knowledgeable about the public service mission and operations of an NPR affiliate station and be able to engage members on a daily basis. A commitment to the value of public radio and independent journalism is a must.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service communication skills in writing, over the phone, and in person.
- Strong organizational, prioritization, and planning skills, as well as the ability to work well in stressful situations.
- The ability to talk comfortably about money and philanthropic intentions with donors. The capacity to receive criticism and feedback from donors and react constructively and appropriately.
- Prior experience with donation database software (WBHM uses Allegiance), is preferred, but not required.
- Must be able to learn to generate reports creatively and be adept at working with large amounts of data.
- Experience with the Microsoft Office suite (particularly Excel and Outlook) and Constant Contact.
- Reports to the Deputy Director.
- Most workdays will be spent at the station, but attendance at evening and weekend events is required.
- The membership manager will work collaboratively with management staff to coordinate and plan monthly fundraising and scheduled semi-annual fund drives.
- Coordinates station personnel to staff the on-air fund drives and trains and schedules community volunteers.
- Interacts regularly with departments of the University of Alabama at Birmingham (the station’s license-holder), including the UAB Gifts Records Office.
Bachelor’s degree in Business, Management, Nonprofit Management, or a related field. Five (5) years of related experience required. Work experience may NOT substitute for education requirement.
The candidate with previous membership or development experience at a public radio or public TV station or with previous experience in membership at a nonprofit is preferred.
This positions routinely involves lifting items over 10 lbs. and packing items for shipping.