Register for Issues & Ales: Concussions and the Price of Playing Football=
In Alabama, football is a way of life. But after recent revelations about the dangers of football-related head injuries, players and parents are reconsidering their involvement. How are health concerns changing who plays football? How does it change the culture around football, and what will it mean for the future of the sport?
Join WBHM for this panel discussion Thursday, July 23, from 5:30 – 8 p.m. at Workplay. We’ll talk with players, coaches, parents, and scientists about the sometimes-high cost of playing ball.
· Bobby Humphrey, former running back for the Denver Broncos and University of Alabama
· Kevin Drake, Former UAB Quarterback and NFL Veteran, TBI sufferer, Program Director of Wise Up! Initiative
· Dr. Michael F. Bergeron, Youth Sports of the Americas, Lemak Sports Medicine
· Dr. Sara Gould, sports medicine physician with UAB Sports Medicine at Children’s of Alabama where she specializes in the evaluation and treatment of pediatric concussion patients.
· Dr. Joe Ackerson, Neuropsychologist, Chairman of the Alabama Statewide Sports Concussion Task Force
· Laura Dreer, Ph.D. Associate Professor of Opthalmology and Director of Psychological & Neuropsychology Clinical Research Services, UAB
· Matt Price, head athletic trainer for Samford football
· Shawna Holley, member of the Hoover Youth Football Board of Directors
· Johnny Webb, coach for Irondale Titans
We hope to see you there! If you can’t make it, the event will stream live at wbhm.org and video stream on al.com.